Thursday, August 30, 2012

Reward Chart to the Rescue!

By the second week of school you already know who in your classroom is going to challenge you the most. I knew mine by the second day this year. Teaching a multigrade has already had some major challenges (lesson planning, meeting with the other grade level, etc.) so I knew that behavior would have to be the least of my worries. I talked with a great friend of mine who is a 4th grade teacher in my building and got a reward system to try. I wanted to share to see how you guys keep your behaviors to a minimum in your classroom! I introduce you to the rewards chart.


I know you what you are thinking! What is that? It may be the largest BINGO chart you have ever seen! The white paper is actual chart paper so there are 520 squares on the chart. At the top of the chart lies the alphabet and the left side is lined with the numbers 1-20. Here is a closer shot on the right!




How it works is rather simple. I carry around a clipboard where ever I go and when I see a student going above and beyond they receive a star next to their name. A student can also receive a star for bringing back a signed agenda daily or homework, you get to decide! At the end of the day we do a signing celebration where the students who received stars get to initial a box of their choice. 2 stars = 2 boxes. Once the chart gets full, rewards are next! The teacher gets to draw a letter and a number to determine who got the reward. I plan on pulling at least 5 boxes the first time we complete a chart. As a teacher you decide what the rewards are and how many boxes you pull.

 My students LOVED this as soon as I introduce it. When I call out number of stars at the end of the day many of my students clap for one another. It sets a positive environment and sends them home in a positive mood too!

What do you do to promote positive behavior?

No comments:

Post a Comment