Sunday, October 21, 2012

Positive Outlook/Penny Experiment

I have been listening to Jillian Michael's Podcast a lot lately. She is so inspirational and you can download them for free. You can listen to them on a walk or a workout at the gym and each one leaves you thinking. Today's podcast was full of inspirational quotes and having you connect them to your life. The one that hit home for me was "Don't focus on the negatives of the day, turn them into positives." How many times do you leave school thinking about how Tommy is become  a behavior problem or how that lesson didn't go as well as planned?? My goal for this week is to try and only focus on the positives from the day! I may even get my students involved in this weekly goal.

After thinking about this positive outlook I realized a week ago I had a tough week. My husband had to share some positives vibes with me because the week just felt loooooonnnnggg. Looking back at it I remember some great positives throughout the days. My students completed the penny experiment to practice using the scientific method and it went really well. We worked through each step of the process and then I had the students complete the investigation. Each group was so engaged and wanted to get the most drops of water on their penny. I love seeing them so excited about learning! Here are a couple pictures!!

One student 95 drops on one penny!!
Penny Experiment
Question: How many drops of water will fit on a penny?
Prediction: How many do you think? 
Experiment: Using water droppers and a cup of water, place as many drops of water on a penny.
Observations
Collect data
Conclusion

Students loved the "snow globe" look.

Using the dropper to place water on the penny.
A great experiment to get the students engaged and use the scientific process. Try it out in your room. Have a fabulous Sunday!

No comments:

Post a Comment